Sunday, February 25

Who Said People Don’t Dance No More? a.k.a. Whoa! Alright Yeah…Uh Huh!


  1. The Tension

I get there too early. Yes, that was my intention, but it is just far too early…I have to wait for an hour before they let us in. Time: about 20:30, the time the opening act should start playing. Figures, they didn’t. The atmosphere is set by a DJ (whose name I cannot seem to recall) who plays/mixes/meshes-up various tracks. There is this disco vibe I really like, as people are actually dancing and singing along (vintage-like? Studio 54, anyone?). At about 21:00, the opening act gets on stage. Montevideo, if I am not mistaken. This disco-punkish, distort-loving band I must admit I’ve never listened to before. They are good, have a lot of energy and one might be tempted to think they are the headliners. I particularly like their version of Clash’s “London Calling”…Funky. At about 21:40-ish, Montevideo finishes the performance and leaves us waiting for the main act. And we wait, about 40 minutes, if I am not wrong. Of course, the DJ is playing music, for the first 30 minutes, the crowd is dancing. But it is just too much, the crowd gets impatient (do I hear them yelling “Allez!”?)…And where the hell is The Rapture?...

  1. The Jam

It’s past 22:00 (oh, dear, two and a half hours of waiting?) and finally the DJ stops playing music. And, yes, one by one, the four New Yorkers get on stage. (I am going to be honest. I’ve been dreaming about this gig for a long time, I love...no, adore The Rapture... *and they are not some arrogant, egomaniac twats*…Of course I thought they were great and they did raise-up to my expectations.) Andruzzi has to be one of the best showmen I’ve seen. The guy has great stage moves and is one hell of a sax player His veins are popping out and his face is all red and he keeps on playing the saxophone and dancing. Roccoforte’s drums are perfect. Safer plays his funky bass and has this “60s-pop-band”-like dance routines. Meantime, Jenner either does some goofy dance moves (in contrast to Andruzzi who is extremely serious through-out the whole show), either balances on the edge of the stage ending each song with a distort (yes, we do love you). Safer thanks everybody (the DJ, the opening act, the crowd) and yells “Now, let’s party”. On “First Gear”, he imitates Andre3000’s ‘shake it like a Polaroid picture” routine (I’ve got to shake, shake…whatever it takes). Needless to say the crowd is dancing and singing along every line. Jenner throws himself in the crowd… (in case you’re wondering, yes, I did…*big grin*). As the show is coming to an end, he jumps again in the crowd (yes, dude, we all love you…). Applause. The Rapture exits the stage. And I find myself again on the subway, heading back to my dorm room. An hour and a half with The Rapture seems to have passed way too fast …But, hey, as they’d say it “I can’t hold you tomorrow, but I hold you in my heart”.

(I wish a could say it….but hell, I’ve got far too little sleep since then…so no “Goodnight” this time…just “Good luck”)

No comments: