Monday, April 30

Favourite Dream


Why now? Because I am finally ready to write something about this album that just haunts me ever since I got it… I still can’t explain why…. Yes, I am a huge Monkeys fan… and, hell yeah, I adore the new album… an album that sets off with “Brianstorm”, a strong, tight song that effortlessly leaves everyone breathless… In fact, the whole album is brilliantly tight and filled with energy: it’s the bass. And maybe the production, James Ford of Simian Mobile Disco. Prince Monkey’s lyrics are just as sharp/mikeskinner-scented on this album as they were on the first one: the kid’s got loads of talent and one can not deny it… ‘D is for danger’ and ‘This house is a circus’ are huge: the vocal part gives them their undeniable strength. “Balaclava”, “Teddy Picker”, “If you were there”, “The bad thing” and “Old yellow bricks” are reminders of the past song – because, all in all, the Monkeys did not change one bit. “Fluorescent adolescent” follows the line of stories about the hardship of adolescence in nowadays England. The slow-scented “Only Ones Who Know” is just as comforting as James Murphy’s “NY I Love You”. “Do me a favour” has some of Turner’s best lines – “to tear apart the ties that bond/perhaps ‘fuck off’ might be to kind”. The ending is monumental, probably my favourite song of the album: “505” has a great, fuzzy psychedelic feel, it’s the only song I can say is completely different from anything they ever did and its lyrics blow me away each time – “I’m always about to go and spoil a surprise, take my hands off of yr eyes too soon” and so on….Ladies and gentlemen, Arctic Monkeys are back….

Arctic Monkeys - 505.mp3

No comments: